ourminijourney requested this blog entry so I hope I don’t bore all the non twin parental units to death.. It is a list of things that I found particularly useful when the twins were brand spanking new. They are probably also things that a singleton parent finds useful as well, but I just wouldn’t know. LovePaloma you might enjoy this as well!
One thing that I wish that I had known was that there was no need to buy/register two of a lot of things. The babies have totally different personalities, likes, and dislikes! Just like real people! I don’t know why I did not think that they would be this way!
For example, I registered for two bouncers and received them! I only have one baby that likes the bouncer. So after some time with the babies home and getting to know what they do and don’t like we actually have three “baby entertainment seats”. Thank god for good return policies! We ended up with one of the big monstrosity swings (Patience), one bouncer (Cash) , and one small travel swing that features “soothing vibrations” and doubles as an infant seat thing (both twins like this one when they are sleepy). If you do end up with multiples of an item only take one out of the box for a couple of days to see how they like it!
Ok, here is a list of things that we (I actually just conferred with the husband) feel made our lives easier:
- The Fisher Price Newborn Rock n’ Play: We have/had two of these since luckily both babies liked them. They don’t take up a lot of room so having them both near the bed is doable. More importantly,
weI was able to lay down with my legs hanging off the bed and rock both babies at once.
- These Swaddle Blankets: A lot of them. Like a lot a lot. I resisted them since I felt like they were overpriced and “trendy”, but received a set as a gift. There is a freaking reason that they are so popular! Plus, a set comes with four blankets! Not so pricey when you break it down that way. Anyway, they are the best for swaddling- which I am convinced that twins love since they get so tight in the tum tim. They also work the best as a nursing cover for twins! Way better than any of the udder covers and such, SEE! I think that we have 16 of these bad boys.
- My Breast Friend Nursing Pillow: I am in no way saying that you need to breastfeed (so please no one jump down my throat!). I use this pillow for breastfeeding and bottle feeding. Also were times that the twins both wanted to snuggle and be held and I was just dead on my feet. I would throw this baby on, sit on the sofa, put the twins on it, and fall half asleep… until they wanted to eat again 20 minutes later. I also have 2 Boppys. I keep one in the car for when we are out and I can sit to breastfeed, and I keep one in the house for tummy time. When they were very small I could actually use a Boppy to feed them both at the same time!
- The City Select Double Stroller: Ok. I have to say that this stroller is definitely expensive, and if you buy it or receive it as a gift you will also need to purchase car seat adaptors. We received this as a gift and I tell my cousin all the time how much we love love love it. Granted, with two car seats it seems ridiculously huge and bulky- but today was our first day using the soft seats that it comes with, and it was freaking AWESOME!!!! It rides super smooth. There is a huge compartment under the stroller for tons of stuff. You can purchase a drink holder that attaches. The best part is that by myself I can disassemble and pack it into the car in about 2 minutes or less. Organic Mommy also has wonderful things to say about this stroller.
- I would also recommend a play mat that features some sort of light up toy, lots of onsies that either twin can wear, tommy tippee products, and some sort of white noise machine or app on your phone. Oh and don’t forget your sense of humor, a lot of wipes, and a bottle of wine.